“I have 2 Job opportunities. One is on the East Coast and one is on the West Coast. I don’t know how to decide which one to take.”
- Take 2 pieces of paper and write East Coast on the first page. Write West Coast on the second page.
- Now set up 2 columns on each page. Put ‘Pros’ on one side of the column and ‘Cons’ on the other.
- Begin to fill the columns on each page with all the reasons for and all the reasons against each opportunity. Take your time with this. The best decisions bubble up from the subconscious when we have cleared the crud standing between the ‘old, outdated you’ and the ‘new you’ that wants to grow and expand.
- Assign a number between one and ten to each pro and con you list, depending on how important that reason is for you. example…If living on the east coast means you will be close to family and that is important, perhaps you will assign a 9 or 10 to that reason.
- When you feel you have exhausted all the reasons for and against each opportunity, add the totals assigned to each point. Whichever opportunity scores higher is the winner. You now have a solid way to make a decision.
You can use the above tool to help you with decision making in any major life situation.
Major life change is scary. Trust that you do know what is right for you. Sometimes you just need a little help to connect with the answer.
Oh, and if you still need help you can use this suggestion from Big Bang Theory. Amy is helping Sheldon choose a game console. She tells him to flip a coin and then says “if you are disappointed with the result, you’ll know which decision you were meant to make” Sheldon flips the coin and when he sees the result, he throws the quarter and stomps off. I’d say he got his answer ;)
If you need answers, why not book a Chaos to Clarity session.